Oxfam America, an international relief and development organization, invites you to join the Oxfam Action Corps*, an exciting grassroots effort to stand up to poverty, hunger, and injustice around the world – starting right in your community. The Oxfam Action Corps is a group of dedicated volunteers in fifteen US cities who work alongside other local volunteers in support of our GROW campaign for policies that will save lives, defend the rights of women and farmers, and protect communities worldwide from rising food prices and climate change. It includes a free national advocacy and leadership training for select participants. You will gain leadership skills, have fun, and change the world!
Sign-up by February 14 to volunteer with your local group or to apply for Oxfam’s free four-day organizer training in Washington D.C. April 13-16, 2013: www.oxfamactioncorps.org. Anybody can join the local effort. All levels of experience are welcome.
Volunteers receive continuing support from Oxfam, including campaign materials, strategy tips, and advice on community organizing. Each city has two trained volunteer organizers who welcome and orient volunteers throughout the year.
Other responsibilities of a volunteer organizer:
• Work with other lead organizers and volunteers on a local level
• Help convene activities focused on Oxfam’s GROW campaign
• Follow policy developments and messaging
• Update blog, email announcements and social media sites with events and news
• Create plans for local action
• Lead outreach at public events like concerts and conferences
• Build relationships with like-minded organizations
• Gather volunteers for regular planning sessions
• Cultivate leadership in others
• Maintain strong, regular communication with Oxfam staff including tracking and reporting on activities
*We are recruiting for the Oxfam Action Corps in these cities: Albuquerque, NM; Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Burlington, VT; Chicago, IL; Columbus, OH; Des Moines, IA; Indianapolis, IN; Kansas City, MO; Madison, WI; Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN; New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA