NetSquared November update
Winter is finally arriving in the northern hemisphere (and we're getting jealous of our southern friends). This November the NetSquared community is holding the last of this year's NetSquared Camps and is holding even more monthly meetups than last month (at least twenty-one!). This month also saw the launch of the Microsoft Windows 8 Contest, which is open to US-based developers.
The future of NetSquared local
What does the future of NetSquared's local meetups look like? Please join Billy Bicket, TechSoup's VP of Community & Platform and Sheeta Singh, Development Director for a community meeting to discuss the future of the program. Please indicate your availability on this doodle poll if you'd like to join this conference call.
Late October saw NetSquared Camp Europe and NetSquared Camp Vermont. In early November it was Guatemala's turn and in late November the Australian and New Zealand organizers are holding NetSquared Camp Downunder. This four-city meetup will be streamed live over the internet and you're invited to join them! You can RSVP on the Virtual NetSquared meetup group.
The ninth release of the NetSquared platform is now live. Most of the changes are improvements to the challenge functionality of the site, but it also includes the display of events to logged-in users of the platform. When a user is on the site they are now shown their closest local meetup event (because we know their location). This will help bring more people to your meetup.
I've also created a screencast overview of the local organizer pages on the platform as well as a guide to creating and editing your local organizer page. Let me know if something isn't clear.
Windows 8 Apps for Social Good Contest
I've been pretty quiet for the last few weeks because I've been supporting the launch of a joint project between Microsoft and NetSquared. Want to help people find the closest organic produce? Interested in making it easier for people to conserve more energy? Can you make online donations easier? How about making math easier for kids? The Windows 8 Apps for Social Good Contest invites both new and seasoned developers to create an app for “social good” – and you could win one of three cash prizes to help fuel your dream and keep it going! There are three cash prizes starting at $15,000. Good luck! Please note, the contest is only open to residents of the USA.
A quick scan shows 21 events happening across the NetSquared local network. Did I miss any?
- Vancouver, Canada: Organizing your digital attack from a one-person shop
- Denver, CO: Please Join Tech4Good Denver for a Free Forum on Video Storytelling
- Houston, TX: November meetup
- Toronto, ON: FIELD TRIP: TED Movie Night: Adapting in a changing world
- Lafayette, LA: Create an iPad app
- Washington, DC: December meetup
- Baltimore, MD: November Tech & Social Change Baltimore Meetup: GBTC Tech Night 2012
- Philadelphia, PA: A "Social Web Sampler" for Social Change
- Boston, MA: Let's Talk about Nonprofit Tech over Fortune Cookies
- Guatemala: NetSquared Guatemala: Evento Regional 2012
- Guayaquil, Ecuador: The Guayaquil NetSquared Meetup Group Monthly Meetup
- Manchester, UK: November meetup
- Cambridge, UK: Social Media Surgery
- Paris, France: Wiserlocal : Soirée networking et Community Connection Night
- Auckland and Wellington, New Zealand; Adelaide and Melbourne, Australia: NetSquared camp: Downunder
- Port Harcourt, Nigeria: NETWORKING AND COMMUNICATION
- Morrisville, NC: Technology challenges? What challenges?
- Portland, OR: The Yogic Entrepreneur - Activist Enterprise Workshop
- Houston, TX: Building Quality Relationships by Dating Your Prospect
Photo by Tim on Flickr