Code for Charity at This Weekend's National GiveCamp
Are you a designer, developer or database administrator who would like to use your tech expertise to help a good cause? For the first time since GiveCamp was created in 2007, a National GiveCamp will take place on the weekend of Jan. 14-16, 2011 with 14 different locations across the United States simultaneously.
During the weekend-long event, teams of designers, developers and database administrators will donate their time and expertise to complete an IT project – usually custom software or a new website – to benefit a charity in their community.
Multiple events over the same weekend – no coincidence that it’s the weekend set aside to celebrate the community service-minded Martin Luther King, Jr. – means Microsoft can help organizers overcome the event’s two biggest hurdles – location and sponsorships. Partners supporting the event include Domino’s (free pizza for volunteers); Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (free coffee); DeVry University (facility space); and Pluralsight (free training for volunteers).
For all their hard work, time and commitment, organizers and volunteers receive the satisfaction of knowing they’ve created a new web page or custom software that their cash-strapped charities could probably not otherwise afford to develop. In this information age, charities need as many means as possible to reach the communities they serve and National GiveCamp helps make that a reality. Visit http://bit.ly/h9eHtM for more information. Follow GiveCamp on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/GiveCamp. Get involved and Code it Forward!
If you want to volunteer this weekend, contact the following organizers:
· Austin GiveCamp, Austin, TX: Toyin Akinmusuru, firstname.lastname@example.org, (734) 657-6114
· AZGiveCamp, Phoenix, AZ: Barry Stahl, email@example.com, (503) 427-8245
· Birmingham GiveCamp, Birmingham, AL: Daniel Leverett Powell, firstname.lastname@example.org, (205) 296-4140
· Colorado Springs GiveCamp, Colorado Springs, CO: Gabriel Villa, email@example.com, (915) 317-6856
· Dallas GiveCamp, Dallas, TX: Shawn Weisfeld, firstname.lastname@example.org, (682) 518-6770
· GiveCamp Atlanta, Atlanta, GA: Jeff Ammons, email@example.com, (678) 372-7047
· GiveCamp Houston, Houston, TX: Tony Champion, firstname.lastname@example.org, (281) 812-7921
· Nashville GiveCamp, Nashville, TN: Ben Henderson, email@example.com, (615) 473-8227
· NEPA GiveCamp, Dallas, PA: Jason Gaylord, firstname.lastname@example.org, (570) 606-5255
· Northwest Arkansas GiveCamp, Fayetteville, AR: Jay Smith, email@example.com, (479) 422-0122
· NYC GiveCamp, New York City, NY: Seth Juarez, firstname.lastname@example.org, (818) 660-0777
· Philly GiveCamp, Malvern, PA: Vince Paglione, Vincent.email@example.com, (215) 913-7023
· Seattle GiveCamp, Seattle, WA: Ali Daniali, firstname.lastname@example.org, (206) 353-2682
· St. Louis GiveCamp, Clayton, MO: Kevin Grossnicklaus, email@example.com, (636) 236-3279