MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 APPS FOR SOCIAL GOOD CONTEST
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Windows 8 Apps for Social Good contest promotion will operate (“Contest”). In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest. The objective of this content is to showcase Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 as platforms for developing cool apps that help impact the "social good". For purposes of this Contest, each complete Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 app you create and submit in this Contest will be called an "entry" and each entry will be eligible to win in either of the following prize categories: best overall app or people’s choice app. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on November 5, 2012, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on February 28, 2013 (“Entry Period”) and will be followed by a public voting period beginning at 12:01 a.m. PT on March 1, 2013 and ending at 11:59 p.m. PT on March 15, 2013 (“Public Voting Period”).
We will only accept one (1) entry per person per category.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
• Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
• Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY RULES APPLY - SEE "ELIGIBILITY" SECTION BELOW.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
• are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest or the promotion of Apps for Windows 8; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest or Windows 8 (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed)
• agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
• understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
• understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
• understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
Best Overall App
On or around the close of the Entry Period, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select one winner in each category based on the following criteria:
• 50% - Impact on "social good"
• 20% - Solution Sustainability (economic, maintenance)
• 20% - Solution Design and Innovation
• 10% - Problem definition
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below.
The Best Overall Windows 8 App winner will receive a check for $15,000
The Best Overall Windows Phone 8 Apps winner will receive a check for $15,000
Throughout the Public Voting Phase, entries will be posted in an online gallery at URL for viewing and voting. Visitors to the site will be invited to vote for their favorite entry and are limited to three (3) votes overall for the duration of the public voting period. Voting will close at 11:59 p.m. PT on March 15, 2013. At the close of the voting period, the entry with the most overall votes will be considered the winner of the “People’s Choice App” category.
Prize: The People’s Choice App winner will receive a check for $10,000
In addition, each winner will receive a Windows 8 Phone (make/model varies by carrier). Wireless carrier and wireless service including data/text plan are not included. Activation terms and conditions are at the sole discretion of the phone manufacturer and wireless carrier.
Limit one (1) prize per person overall.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $40,000
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
• You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
• You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
• If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
• If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
• Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
We will only award one (1) prize per person.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree:
• To abide by these Official Rules; and
• To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
• That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
• That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the names of winners online here
. This list will remain posted one month after winner selection.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052